Wednesday, November 29, 2017

The Fundamentalist: Part Two

By the time my seventh-grade year rolled around, my mother decided it would be advantageous to send me to a private Christian school. Apparently, I was becoming a little too rambunctious, if you get my drift. And to be honest, I didn’t argue the point. I hated middle school and all the bullshit that went along with it and a Christian school sounded pretty docile to me. Besides, navigating the treacherous waters known as public education was a bitch, and I was ill-equipped for the task. So, when offered a lifeline, I took it without hesitation.
It’s funny looking back on it now, but it was a very serious undertaking. The whole premise of private Christian education was to defend against what the church saw as an undermining of traditional Christian values. I’m not sure who gets to decide what traditional, Christian values are, but the powers that be felt it was an important undertaking, and so the Cushing Christian Academy was born.
But before we go any further, I think some clarification is in order. When I speak of the church, I’m not referring to the church as a whole, because we all know there are many denominations with differing opinions on what it means to be Christian. No, when I speak of the church, I’m speaking of a Pentecostal, no room for discussion, hellfire and brimstone, we’re right and you’re wrong, take no prisoners kind of church. It was in this environment; I began my Christian education.
 Now, I’m not saying I don’t have wonderful memories of my academy days because I do. I met my wife there, though she doesn’t remember our time together, and made several lifelong friends. The problem I have with combining religion and education is young and impressionable minds unquestionably believe those in positions of authority. And when that happens, it becomes something far more threatening than basic education. It becomes indoctrination.

2 comments:

  1. If only parents would teach their children the loving way to treat themselves and others without trying to as you say Chris indoctrinate them into some religious view they deem as necessary for one to live a life filled with love and kindness. It is our human nature to "teach" our children our beliefs and that is all well and good. But the problem as I see it is that in doing it this way it does not enable the child to grow and choose their own personal path which will eventually lead them back to themselves. Personally, I find it so sad that well meaning parents instill so much fear into their little kids minds with so much hell fire, do as I say or eternal torment, and so many other angry and vengeful attributes that they attach to their "God Concept". To me anything based in fear is a detriment and not something that can help one grow into a loving, patient,and accepting human being. Again, only my humble opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I agree with your "humble" opinion, Ron! Thanks

    ReplyDelete