Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Let me off this merry go round!!!

Most children, and boys in particular, dream of wild and exotic careers when they grow up. Very few of us actually envisioned ourselves as working adults. Life for a child is free and open to all possibilities, so the concept of success being defined by the size of your bank account never entered into the equation. I guess the question is this: Would the twelve year Chris Ledgerwood recognize the forty seven year old version I have become? Now I’ve held a lot of jobs in my life and even made a good living for a short time. But let’s be honest here, I never have fit into the take no prisoners corporate mentality that pervades our society. In a world that values conquest over peace, dominance over compassion and profit above all, It can be hard to find your place (much less thrive) if you don’t possess the necessary skills to do so. It’s not that I haven’t tried, but to judge my self worth on such arbitrary things as sales goals and gross profit margins is madness. The cold hard truth, however, is America worships at the altar of power. And what above all else constitutes power in our world? Money. When a teacher, a person that has dedicated their life to the education of our children, has to face debilitating budget cuts, while the powers that be poor untold billions into an ever expanding military/industrial complex, something is terribly wrong! How do we fix it? I don’t know and if I did who would listen? But I will say this: I want off this merry go round! Now I realize we all have to work, and I also realize there are those that see things differently than me. But if you value the almighty dollar above common human decency, you’re part of the problem. It’s not that difficult, really. Do unto others as you would have done unto you.

1 comment:

  1. Do unto others.... such a simple thought but yet most powerful. What if we all did it that way?? Wonderful world beautiful people..... Thank you Chris for being a part of the solution. Keep on letting your light shine brightly my friend!

    ReplyDelete